DR. NICOMEDES P. ELEAZAR, CESO IV
Tel No.: 929288624/ 928 8505 local 2012 to 2015,
Fax: +632 927 5691
MR. JOELL H. LALES
Chief Agriculturist/Head Planning ang Project Development Division
The Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR) was created by virtue of Executive Order 116 signed in 1987 by then President Corazon C. Aquino. Under this EO, the government addressed the lack of coordination and integration of agriculture research and development among the existing bureaus, councils, and agencies by creating BAR under the Research, Training, and Extension Group.
BAR’s specific mandate to coordinate agricultural research was affirmed by EO 292, otherwise known as the Administrative Code of 1987. BAR’s specific mandate is to:
"…to ensure that all agricultural research is coordinated and undertaken for maximum utility to agriculture. It shall tap farmers, farmer organizations, and research institutions, especially the State Colleges and Universities, in the conduct of research for the use of the Ministry and its clientele, particularly the farmers/fishermen and other rural workers."
In 1997, Republic Act 8435, a law also known as the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act (AFMA), was enacted. This law, together with Executive Orders 127 & 338 affirmed the leading role of BAR in coordinating and managing agriculture and fisheries research and development (R&D).
“Further expanded and strengthened the mandate of BAR by providing leadership in enhancing, consolidating and unifying the national and regional agriculture and fisheries research and development programs of the National Research and Development System in Agriculture and Fisheries (NaRDSAF)”
As the DA central coordinating agency for research and development, it undertakes the following strategic and priority R&D thrusts, programs, and functions, to wit:
- Promote the integration of research and development functions and enhance the participation of farmers, fisherfolk, the industry, and the private sector in the development of the national research, development and agenda;
- Prepare and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive program of R&D to enhance, support, consolidate, and make full use of the capabilities of the interlinked National Research and Development System for Agriculture and Fisheries, including the review and rationalization of the roles, functions, and organization of the various agriculture and fisheries national research, development and extension institutions;
- Set policies in agriculture and fishery national research and development in order to ensure sustainable food security, alleviate poverty, promote people empowerment, agricultural productivity and development and promote internationally competitive agribusiness and fishery sector;
- Formulate policies for the operationalization and continued strengthening of the institutional capacities, efficiency, effectiveness and integration of the national research and development system, including the setting up of M&E system for the effectiveness and efficiency of its various components;
- Create committees, TWGs and Commodity Teams to facilitate the accomplishments of its objectives;
- Take the lead in drafting national research and development plans and programs for the NaRDSAF; and
- Set policies on the relations and exchange between Philippine and international institutions on agriculture and fisheries national research and development, and approve the allocation of funds from national as well as foreign sources for national research and development programs.
Bureau of Agricultural Research
RDMIC Building, Visayas Ave.
cor. Elliptical Road, Diliman
Quezon City, PHILIPPINES 1104
Phone: +63 2 928-8624 / +63 2 928-8505
Fax: +63 2 927-5691
To contact our officials email email@example.com