ATTY. JOSE A. FABIA
9304386, 9201224, 9204395 and 9286917 (fax)
MS. EMELYN Q. LIBUNAO
Staff Director for Program Management
920-4348 & 920-3924
Communication is vital to building a Strong Republic
Thus, the Philippine government operates a nationwide institution established to respond to the information needs of the citizenry.
This institution is the PHILIPPINE INFORMATION AGENCY (PIA), created in 1986 by virtue of Executive Order 100 signed by former President Corazon C. Aquino.
The Agency is member of the Presidential Communications Operations Office otherwise known as PCOO.
PIA envisions a well-informed citizenry able to understand, discuss, and vote on vital issues propelling the nation toward lasting peace and development.
Our mission is to provide people with adequate information to help them to make better decisions and identify opportunities that could improve their quality of life
Below are the core functions of PIA:
- Support the development of indigenous media and of communication capability and technology
- Maintain information centers in the regions and in the provinces
- Plan and carry out national information programs
- Assist other government agencies in carrying out their communication and information projects
- Determine information needs of the people, and
- Professionalize government information officers, communicators, and other media personnel through training and skill enhancement programs.
There are 15 PIA Regional Offices nationwide, mostly locatedin capital cities or capital towns in the regions.
Each Regional Office is supervised by a Regional Head:
- implement policies, plans, and programs of the Agency in the area;
- provide economical, efficient, and effective information services to target publics;
- coordinate with and assist regional offices of other government agencies in the planning and implementation of programs; and
- supervise and provide support to Information Centers located in the provinces in the area.