CLKSSchild labor knowledge sharing system

Personal tools
Log in Register

80 barangays will soon be child-labor free, Palace says

Eighty barangays will soon be child-labor free, the Aquino administration said on Wednesday, a day after a survey indicated that the number of child laborers rose to more than five million in 2011.

Eighty barangays will soon be child-labor free, the Aquino administration said on Wednesday, a day after a survey indicated that the number of child laborers rose to more than five million in 2011.

"There is a national campaign to declare 80 barangays or five per region as child labor-free by the end of 2012. Part of the campaign is to reduce by 75 percent all worse forms of child labor," presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said on Wednesday.

Lacierda’s announcement came after the National Statistics Office showed the incidence of child labor in the country increased by almost 30 percent from 4.2 million in 2001 to 5.5 million last year.

Lacierda said some 7,501,437 children are also covered by the Conditional Cash Transfer program to ensure that they remain in school.

The 2011 NSO Survey on Children showed the number of children engaged in hazardous work increased by 25 percent from 2.4 million in 2001 to 3 million 2011.

Hazardous child labor was higher among boys, with 66.8 percent as compared to girls with 33.2 percent.

Central Luzon (10.6 percent), Bicol (10.2 percent), Western Visayas (8.5 percent), Northern Mindanao (8.2 percent) and Central Visayas (7.3 percent) were the regions with the highest incidence of hazardous child labor.

Source : http://www.interaksyon.com

Document Actions

Comments (0)